One of the things that are constant in life is change. That is, things aren’t expected to be stagnant. And in our lives as human beings, this truth manifests as the days, weeks, months and years pass by. Naturally, a child born today won’t look the same way in a year time. You would agree that you have passed through various stages of growth and development right from the time you were born till now.
And your growth isn’t restricted to your physical body alone. There are other aspects of life that growth have happened to you. Some of these aspects may be your academics, social relations, career, et cetera.
Ultimately, growth is not something that should take good things away from someone’s life, rather, it brings an advantage to life and living. And this is not limited to the physical aspect of life alone.
As children of God, it is important for us to know that just as the physical aspect of life is important, the spiritual aspect cannot be neglected. Now, we agree that God is our Father, and if this is so, do you think that God expects us to remain stagnant spiritually? Of course not!
Spiritual aspect of living is a life on its own that needs building and development. Or how would you feel as a parent who has a child, and you notice that the child has refused to grow? If anyone notices lack of growth in his or her child, it is certain that the child will be taken for medical inspection to know what is wrong. So, God is concerned about us spiritually, just as we are concerned physically.
Apostle Paul showed the importance of spiritual growth in Ephesians 4:14 when he wrote to the church in Ephesus; and the verse says, that we should no longer be children tossed to and fro, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting.
So, you can see that if any one remains as a child spiritually, such is prone to be confused and vulnerable to the deceit of men. But this is not the plan of God for us. The plan of God for us is to be as strong as Christ and measure up to Jesus in stature and spiritual understanding, (Ephesians 4:13).
So, the question is how can we grow spiritually? It is alright to have become born again by believing in the Son of God Jesus Christ. But what are the spiritual input and maintenance that will ensure that we are getting stronger spiritually? The few steps below can be a guide for you;
- Read the word of God frequently: the word of God is also known as the sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17). The word of God is that which feeds you spiritually so that your soul will not become lean. It is by the word of God that you abstain from unrighteousness and know the truths of the Gospel, and by this you won’t be easily conned by spiritual fraudsters as long as you believe in what you read. When you can stand firm in what you have read in God’s word, then it is a sign that you are leaving babyhood Christianity to become an adult and mature Christian.
- Prayers and Fasting: These are spiritual activities that humbles your soul before God. They make you be in tune with God and show that you are serious and ready for the blessings of God in your life. Through frequent prayers and fasting, you will be able to bring down the power of God into your life and win spiritual battles that come your way. It is through prayers that God listens to you to grant your requests.
- Have faith in God: This is different from just believing in him as your Savior. This entails that at different times in the journey of Christianity, you have to wait on him to answer your prayers and deliver you. It is a time that you have to endure some hardships and not wander away to the ways of the wicked simply because you find the path easy to get things you need easily. Your conquest in this area builds you up more and gives more confidence to face more difficult issues.
- Don’t forsake the assembly of the Saints (Hebrews 10:25): Do not turn away from the gathering of the people of God. The scriptures says, iron sharpens iron (Proverbs 27:17). There is an advantage in being among believers because you are all parts of the body of Christ to help one another and become whole in God. Being among Bible believing Christians can help you grow. You can teach one another scriptures, hymns et cetera, and pray with one another to improve your lives together.
- Finally, take note of the testimony of others: Many of these you will find in the assembly of the saints also. But testimonies of other believers is an encouragement for us to surge ahead in God and not faint. Testimonies give prove that the God is ever alive, and that his grace is sufficient for us to overcome every attack of the enemy. Amen.