“You have given a banner to those who fear You, that it may be displayed because of the truth.”
- Psalm 60:4 NKJV
A banner is a large sign, especially when made of soft material or fabric, as defined by the English dictionary.
A banner is therefore a declaration of God’s spiritual and physical portions.
This is verse is a portion of the Psalm that talks about the might of God.
It expresses the victory of them that fear God and the protection he has made available.
Looking at the same verse from another version:
“You have set up a banner for those who fear you, that they may flee to it from the bow.”
- Psalm 60:4 ESV
This is indicative of a mark of protection; like a seal of declaration. A place of fortress that God has given to them that know him.
A banner has God given; a security from the dangers and disasters that lurk around. God is a protection to his people.
Another passage of the Proverbs says:
“The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe.”
- Proverbs 18:10 ESV
Our God is an ever-present help for his people in their time of need. He kept Israel, and the Israelites had this understanding of what God could do, his mighty power to protect and save. Much more the Psalmist understood this dimension of God; king David in this case, who had been saved many times by the arm of God. He had a deeper knowledge and trust in the saving power of the Lord.
The passage says “those who fear you”. The people that fear God, who do righteously and have not perverted the truth of God’s ways. They are the people who are willing to serve him and are in complete obedience to God. They have put all their trust in God, and he has rewarded their faith and loyalty with protection from all evil.
The Psalmist in Psalm 91, says;
“Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honor him.”
- Psalm 91:14-15 KJV
God pays special attention to those who have made a decision and are intentional about loving him with all their heart, mind and body.
He responds to those who respond to him.
In order to enjoy this banner of God’s victory that has been given freely to all who are careful enough to search it out, we need to set our entire hearts on God. For God says, “Return unto me and I will return unto you.”
In the same Psalm 91, we find an expatiation of the meaning of God’s banner; the setup protection that the righteous can run to for safety. It says:
“He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.’
Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.”
- Psalms 91:1-4 NKJV
“He that dwells in the secret place of the Most High”; this is a place of fellowship with God. Many run in and run out, but there are some that stay; they dwell there in the glorious presence of God.
He is their refuge and their fortress; this is the banner of the LORD which has been setup for his children, and if we read the whole Psalm 91, we will find out that the banner includes that;
- He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler [from every evil machination against you, either from human elements or from spiritual forces, that seek to see you fall.]
- He shall deliver you from the perilous pestilence [troubles that wreak havoc on humans; sickness and diseases like the corona virus, from famine and economic depressions]; in all these things you shall come out on top.
- You shall not fear the terror by night [the evils that come to people at night like robbers, and all forms of armed attacks. Spiritual attacks as well that come from the pit of hell.]
- You shall not fear the arrow that flies by day [the accidents that happen in homes and on highways; the attacks of terrorists and every armed attack. Even sicknesses that spring up.]
- You shall not be fear the pestilence that walks in darkness [the diseases and afflictions that mere eyes cannot see; the darkness of destruction that befalls men.]
- You shall not fear the destruction that lays waste at noonday [could mean the noon time of our life; not being deceived and destroyed in our youthful days. Also, literally day time hazards]
- A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you [a summation of the total protection received; whether it be terror of men, diseases and sicknesses, famine, financial and economic depressions; we are secured not to fall]
God’s everlasting love has provided not just spiritual and eternal security, but also the physical security we need here and now.
His covering over us is activated when we walk with him in the light of his word. He protects us and guides our path.